Sunday 23 December 2018

The Story of Melina - who lived with her parents in a village near Sikkim

There was a young beautiful woman named Melina who lived with her parents in a village near Sikkim. She was studying to become a doctor. After she had completed MBBS, she managed to win a scholarship for studies in USA. She got her Master Degree and came back to serve in India while her friends stayed back. Melina's father was not happy with his daughter's decision. He wanted his daughter to make America her home, earn a lot of money and finally invite her parents and brother also to settle down in America. But Melina was adamant. “My country has spent thousands of rupees in educating me. I have to repay this debt. The only way I can do it is by serving the people here. Moreover, India and it's villages need good doctors.


She worked in a government hospital in the city. A year later an epidemic broke out in the nearby villages. Melina left immediately to serve these suffering people. She didn't even inform her parents for fear that they would stop her.

She was busy treating the patients and the situation was very grim.

Melina became a victim of the epidemic for working continuously without taking rest.

Her parents rushed to see her. She was in a very serious state. She could barely speak.

Her father asked “Why are you torturing yourself as well as us, daughter?"

“I can't help it father. I can't bear to see people suffer."

“Your friends are enjoying life in America, earning a lots of money and living in comfort and look at you here - fighting for your life. I can't understand what your are getting by doing all this. If you don't care about yourself, at least think about your poor mother. Just see her condition. She has gone half mad worrying about you."

“Father I don't think I'll ever be able to convince you about my actions. All I can say is that I have the satisfaction that I have been able to save so many lives. Forgive me if I have tortured you. But please try to understand that I could not help it. I can't watch people dying all around me and not able to do anything for them."

After battling for a month, Melina died in her mother's arms.


The entire village was there at her cremation and there was not even one eye which was not wet with tears.

0 comments: